Broccoli Cheddar Casserole
We're lucky to have fresh fruits and vegetables year-round. I put bountiful Arizona broccoli to great use in this rich side dish. Even those who don't care for broccoli finish off big helpings.
— Carol Strickland, Yuma, Arizona
12-16 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 45 min. + standing
- 8 cups chopped fresh broccoli
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 3/4 cup butter, cubed
- 12 eggs
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- In a large skillet over medium heat, saute broccoli and onion in
- butter until crisp-tender; set aside. In a large bowl, whisk the
- eggs, cream and 1-3/4 cups of the cheese. Stir in the broccoli
- mixture, salt and pepper. Pour into a greased 3-qt. baking dish; set
- in a large pan filled with 1 in. of hot water.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a knife
- inserted near the center comes out clean. Sprinkle with remaining
- cheese. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 12-16
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 298 calories, 27 g fat (16 g saturated fat), 238 mg cholesterol, 535 mg sodium, 5 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 10 g protein.