- 8 cups chopped fresh broccoli
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 3/4 cup butter, cubed
- 12 eggs
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- In a large skillet over medium heat, saute broccoli and onion in butter until crisp-tender; set aside. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, cream and 1-3/4 cups of the cheese. Stir in the broccoli mixture, salt and pepper. Pour into a greased 3-qt. baking dish; set in a large pan filled with 1 in. of hot water.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.
Reviews for Broccoli Cheddar Casserole
Sort By :
"This was okay. Not horrible and not great. I had it with dinner, but it might be better as a breakfast bake idea."
"I made this recipe for Easter and it was a hot mess. I followed the directions to cook in a water bath and it took over 2 hours to finish cooking in the middle. I think it calls for too many eggs and cream as the center remained liquid for over 2 hours. When finally cooked through,(about 2 1/2 hours) it just wasn't very flavorful, very blah. I know the oven temp was spot on due to 2 oven thermometers and everything else cooked one right after the other turned out fine. I would never make this again, it was more like a blah broccoli quiche. I agree with another reviewer and should have taken her advice to add some spices."
"I used this as a base to use up a bag of mixed broccoli & cauliflower -- halved and added fresh mushrooms after sauteing in olive oil. No cream so used about a cup of sour cream & a bit of milk; and 6 eggs. Added spices I knew we would like -- enjoyed and will make again!"
"Very tasty and easy to make. I made it as part of dinner. Will make again."