- 8 cups chopped fresh broccoli
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 3/4 cup butter, cubed
- 12 eggs
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- In a large skillet over medium heat, saute broccoli and onion in butter until crisp-tender; set aside. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, cream and 1-3/4 cups of the cheese. Stir in the broccoli mixture, salt and pepper. Pour into a greased 3-qt. baking dish; set in a large pan filled with 1 in. of hot water.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.
Reviews for Broccoli Cheddar Casserole
Sort By :
"I used this as a base to use up a bag of mixed broccoli & cauliflower -- halved and added fresh mushrooms after sauteing in olive oil. No cream so used about a cup of sour cream & a bit of milk; and 6 eggs. Added spices I knew we would like -- enjoyed and will make again!"
"Very tasty and easy to make. I made it as part of dinner. Will make again."
"This is an excellent dish. It really is just an egg bake. If you read the igredients you would gather that. I usually serve it for breakfast or lunch a long with toast and sausage. If you are terribly concerned about the fat content then cut it down! I just made this today sautéing the broccoli in 2 T of butter and covering the skillet to help the broccoli steam. I usually use 1 percent milk but had skim this week and used that. I sprinkled with cheese not using the whole amount but the pan was still covered with it and added a little chopped bacon. This is wonderful and healthy. You would never know the difference. My 11 year old son asks for this often. Try lightening it up see if you can tell a difference."
"I halved this for my husband and I. He didn't care for it, but I really liked it! Would be good for a brunch, I think."