Broccoli Brown Rice Pilaf
This is one of my favorite low-fat dishes—it's delicious! Rosemary, garlic, almonds and sunflower kernels flavor the broccoli and rice. Sometimes I add cooked cubed chicken for a complete meal.
—Mari Condit of Brooklyn Center, Minnesota
6 ServingsPrep: 5 min. Cook: 50 min.
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 2-1/4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh rosemary or 2 teaspoons dried rosemary, crushed
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups chopped fresh broccoli
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- 1/4 cup unsalted sunflower kernels
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, saute rice
- until lightly browned. Add the broth, rosemary and garlic; bring to
- a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 40 minutes or until rice
- is almost tender.
- Stir in the broccoli, almonds, sunflower kernels, salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook 3-5 minutes longer or until rice is tender and
- broccoli is crisp-tender. Fluff with a fork. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (2/3 cup) equals 202 calories, 6 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 414 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber,