This soup tastes just as wonderful without the beer, making a great broccoli cheese soup. I always make extra and pop individual servings in the freezer.—Lori Lee, Brooksville, Florida
- 5 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 3 medium carrots, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 4 cups fresh broccoli florets, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, cubed
- 1 bottle (12 ounces) beer or nonalcoholic beer
- Optional toppings: cooked and crumbled bacon, chopped green onions, shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream and salad croutons
- In a Dutch oven, saute celery, carrots and onion in butter until almost tender; add broth, broccoli, red pepper, salt and pepper. Combine flour and water until smooth; stir into pan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 30-40 minutes or until thickened and vegetables are tender.
Stir in cheeses and beer; cook until heated through and cheese is melted, stirring occasionally (do not boil). Serve with toppings of your choice.
Freeze option: Cool soup; transfer to freezer containers. Freeze for up to 3 months. To use, thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Transfer to a saucepan. Cover and cook over medium-low heat until heated through, stirring occasionally (do not boil). Yield: 12 servings (3 quarts).
Originally published as Broccoli Beer Cheese Soup in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2009, p206
Reviews for Broccoli Beer Cheese Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review