- 5 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 3 medium carrots, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 4 cups fresh broccoli florets, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, cubed
- 1 bottle (12 ounces) beer or nonalcoholic beer
- Optional toppings: cooked and crumbled bacon, chopped green onions, shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream and salad croutons
- In a Dutch oven, saute celery, carrots and onion in butter until almost tender; add broth, broccoli, red pepper, salt and pepper. Combine flour and water until smooth; stir into pan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 30-40 minutes or until thickened and vegetables are tender.
- Stir in cheeses and beer; cook until heated through and cheese is melted, stirring occasionally (do not boil). Serve with toppings of your choice. Yield: 12 servings (3 quarts).
Reviews for Broccoli Beer Cheese Soup
Sort By :
"I followed this recipe exactly, which I seldom ever do! It came out perfectly and I will definitely make it again. One comment, even though I am slow when I cook, I think it would take most cooks more than 15 minutes to prepare this, so maybe allow some extra time. I usually use lots of spices to kick up my recipes so I was skeptical since this only called for salt and pepper...but the recipe is perfect and does not need any tweaking! Thanks for sharing. NOTE: I used a food processor to finely chop the veggies except the broccoli florets. When I added the cream cheese I kept stirring and mashing the cream cheese until it was creamy."
"This is absolutely terrible. It was not creamy, there was more celery than broccoli, and the cream cheese melted into curdled chunks.Will never make again, worst recipe i have ever made.Also, adding the beer at the end like this recipe says to do makes it taste like souped down beer. Worst soup i have ever tasted0/5 stars if I could."
"I love this soup!"
"This soup is wonderful! I had to bring soup for 15 to Church, so I made 2 batches (at the same time) and saved out enough for my husband and myself, but brought all the rest (at least serving 20) to Church. There wasn't a drop left! People raved about it. I probably cooked it a little longer than the shown amount of time, so the broccoli was not in whole pieces. I used shredded sharp cheddar cheese, and I had only one bottle of beer in the refrig. so I put half a bottle in each batch. It is a recipe I am going to be keeping because I will definitely be making this again. I loved it."
"This is a fabulous beer cheese soup, everyone that tasted it liked it, even those who were not big fans of broccoli. I recommend everyone to give it a try!"