- 4 cups frozen cottage fries
- 1 pound ground beef
- 3 cups frozen chopped broccoli, thawed
- 1 can (2.8 ounces) french-fried onions, divided
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of celery soup, undiluted
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Line bottom and sides of a greased 13x9-in. baking dish with cottage fries. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Layer the beef, broccoli, half of the onions and the tomato over fries. In a small bowl, combine the soup, 1/2 cup cheese, milk, garlic powder and pepper; pour over top.
- Cover and bake at 400° for 20 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining cheese and onions. Bake 2 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Broccoli Beef Supper
"Very good! I took the advice of the other reviews and cooked the fries longer. I also added salt & minced garlic to the ground beef for more flavor when I put it in the casserole. I still had to add a little more seasoning after baking. But otherwise this is a great meal-in-one type of dish! I will definitely make this again!"
"Tasty recipe and easy to make. Couldn't find cottage fries so I used waffle fries. I will probably bake them a little longer next time to try and crisp them up. They were a little soggy."
"Ohhhh why is it such great casseroles have so many carbs! j."
"This was good! I used waffle fries, baked them a little longer to be crisper, and used a whole 6oz can of the fried onions. Two cups of cheese too, and then we served it with a dollop of sour cream on top. Very tasty and simple!"
"First time making this. Incredible! Used waffle fries instead of cottage fries. Everyone loved it!"
"Made this tonight and was good. I never go exactly by the recipe. I baked mine a little longer as potatoes take longer to bake. I make my own cottage fries aka sliced potatoes. Also need more salt to bring out the flavors. I salted the potatoes, meat (hamburger and sausage for more flavor) and still needed to add salt after it was done. But all in all it was good as my husband went back to seconds."
"I'm sure the temperature to bake the fries should be 400 not 40, correct?"
"Did you increase your cooking time when you used russet potatoes"
"@ nonniemimi : I'm sure that temp is supposed to read 400 degrees, since that is how the casserole continues to bake following that step.@ lilmistakesimake : I used my own potatoes as well, following your suggestion, and it turned out great.I also tossed a bit of red pepper flakes, salt & pepper, and minced fresh garlic into the skillet while browning the beef. In place of the garlic powder in the soup, I added a dash of Worcestershire. Will be making this often through the winter."
"For the Canadian, here is the URL for "French Fried Onions." They come, normally, in a smallish can, although it looks like they're now available frozen. Go here: http://www.frenchs.com/products/french-fried-onions/french-fried-onions"