Twenty years ago, I ran my own restaurant. For the last 15, I've been a cook at our local school, so I'm always in the kitchen cooking. Whenever I fix this for my husband and me, I give half to my single brother, who shares it with his friends.
Recommended: 22 Freezer Meal Recipes
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 6 to 8 tablespoons cold water
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cups chopped broccoli, cooked and drained
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- 4 ounces cream cheese, cubed
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup plus 1 teaspoon milk, divided
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a large bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in shortening until crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Roll out dough to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Transfer to plate; trim even with edge.
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the broccoli, Swiss cheese, cream cheese, egg, 1/2 cup milk, flour, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Spoon into crust.
- Roll out remaining dough to fit top of dish; place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges; cut slits in top. Brush pastry with remaining milk. Bake at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until the crust is golden brown. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Broccoli Beef Pie in Casserole Cookbook 2001, p198
Reviews forBroccoli Beef Pot Pie
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Apr. 16, 2013
"I don't know maybe it's my. taster but it just didn't have alot of taste? Maybe more broccoli?? some cream of mushroom soup??"