Broccoli Beef Lo Mein
My family loves pasta, but I'm always looking for different ways to prepare it. This dish is better than any Chinese restaurant variety I've tried.Joan Crandall, Burlington, Connecticut
4-6 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 cup bean sprouts
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 6 ounces vermicelli or thin spaghetti, cooked and drained
- 2 to 3 cups broccoli florets, cooked
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup oyster sauce, optional
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- In a large skillet, cook beef, onion and garlic over medium heat
- until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add bean sprouts, mushrooms and
- water chestnuts. Cook and stir for 3-5 minutes. Stir in the
- vermicelli, broccoli, soy sauce, oyster sauce if desired and ginger;
- toss to coat. Cover and cook for 5 minutes or until heated through.
- Yield: 4-6 servings.
Select firm broccoli stalks with compact, deep green florets. Store unwashed in an airtight plastic gag in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. One pound of broccoli yields about 3-1/2 cups florets.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 270 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 37 mg cholesterol, 765 mg sodium,