Broccoli Beef Curry
We developed our own version of this dish after tasting it at a local Indian restaurant. The curry's not overpowering—it has a wonderful flavor.
6 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 1 hour 50 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds beef top round steak, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large onions, diced
- 3 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 cup water
- 1 pound fresh broccoli, cut into florets
- Cornstarch and water, optional
- Hot cooked rice
- Toss meat with garlic, ginger, curry powder, chili powder and salt.
- In a large skillet or wok, cook meat with onions in oil until
- browned. Stir in water.
- Cover and simmer 1-1/2 hours or until beef is tender. Add broccoli
- and more water if necessary; cover and cook until broccoli is
- crisp-tender. If desired, thicken with cornstarch dissolved in
- water. Serve with rice. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1/6 recipe (prepared with 3 cups hot cooked rice; calculated w/o added salt) equals 379 calories, 14 g fat (0 saturated fat), 69 mg cholesterol, 80 mg sodium,