Broccoli Bean Pasta Recipe
- 10 cups water
- 6 ounces uncooked small pasta shells
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2/3 cup white wine or vegetable broth
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup fat-free evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1. In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add pasta; cook for 7 minutes. Add broccoli; cook 4-5 minutes longer or until pasta and broccoli are tender.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, saute garlic in oil for 1 minute. Add the beans, wine and pepper flakes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 7-8 minutes or until slightly reduced.
- 3. Drain pasta and broccoli; keep warm. Combine cornstarch, salt and milk until smooth; stir into bean mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; stir in 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese. Add pasta mixture; toss to coat. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Yield: 5 servings.
One serving (1 cup) equals 361 calories, 12 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 6 mg cholesterol, 461 mg sodium, 48 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 16 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 1-1/2 fat, 1 lean meat.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.