- 10 cups water
- 6 ounces uncooked small pasta shells
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2/3 cup white wine or vegetable broth
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup fat-free evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
- In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add pasta; cook for 7 minutes. Add broccoli; cook 4-5 minutes longer or until pasta and broccoli are tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, saute garlic in oil for 1 minute. Add the beans, wine and pepper flakes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 7-8 minutes or until slightly reduced.
- Drain pasta and broccoli; keep warm. Combine cornstarch, salt and milk until smooth; stir into bean mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; stir in 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese. Add pasta mixture; toss to coat. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Yield: 5 servings.
Originally published as Broccoli Bean Pasta in Light & Tasty October/November 2002, p62
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Broccoli Bean Pasta
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Feb. 8, 2014
Reviewed Sep. 17, 2009
"Yummy!! All 5 of us enjoyed this one!!"