Broccoli Bean Bake Recipe
"This may sound like an unusual combination, but it's really delicious," promises Valerie McInroy of Waterloo, Iowa. "It's a tasty way to get my husband and son to eat broccoli."
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min. YIELD:8 servings
- 6 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 jar (4 ounces) diced pimientos, drained
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 tablespoons dry bread crumbs
- 1. Place broccoli in a saucepan; add 1 in. of water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5-8 minutes or until crisp-tender. Meanwhile, in a skillet, saute the onion and garlic in 1 tablespoon butter. Spread into a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish.
- 2. Drain broccoli; place over onion mixture. Top with beans and pimientos. Sprinkle with oregano, salt, pepper, cheese and bread crumbs. Melt remaining butter; pour over the top. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 8 servings.
3/4 cup equals 333 calories, 22 g fat (16 g saturated fat), 77 mg cholesterol, 728 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 18 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC