Broccoli Barley Soup Recipe
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 ounces sliced fresh mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup uncooked medium pearl barley
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 pound fresh broccoli, cut into florets
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- Salt and pepper
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- 1. In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, saute the first three ingredients in butter until tender. Add the chicken and vegetable broths, barley and rosemary. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until barley is tender. Add broccoli; cover and cook for 10 minutes or until broccoli is tender.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth; stir into the soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; stir in the cream, salt and pepper (do not boil). Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Yield: 8 servings (about 2 quarts).
1 cup: 240 calories, 11g fat (7g saturated fat), 41mg cholesterol, 816mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 6g fiber), 8g protein
Reviews for Broccoli Barley Soup
"I made this for the first time with fresh broccoli from our garden and it was delicious! It was not hard to make at all."