Broccoli Barley Soup Recipe
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 ounces sliced fresh mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup uncooked medium pearl barley
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 pound fresh broccoli, cut into florets
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- Salt and pepper
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- 1. In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, saute the first three ingredients in butter until tender. Add the chicken and vegetable broths, barley and rosemary. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until barley is tender. Add broccoli; cover and cook for 10 minutes or until broccoli is tender.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth; stir into the soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; stir in the cream, salt and pepper (do not boil). Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Yield: 8 servings (about 2 quarts).
1 cup: 240 calories, 11g fat (7g saturated fat), 41mg cholesterol, 816mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 6g fiber), 8g protein .
Reviews for Broccoli Barley Soup
"I made this for the first time with fresh broccoli from our garden and it was delicious! It was not hard to make at all."