Broccoli Barley Saute Recipe
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1/3 cup water
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 2 cups diced cooked chicken
- 1/2 cup unsalted peanuts, optional
- 1. Prepare barley according to package directions. In a small bowl, combine water, soy sauce and cornstarch; set aside. In a large skillet or wok, saute garlic in oil for 15 seconds. Add carrots; stir-fry for 1 minute. add broccoli and onions; stir-fry for 2-3 minutes. Stir in soy sauce mixture; simmer and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Add chicken an barley; heat through. Stir in peanuts if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Diabetic Exchanges: One serving (prepared with low-sodium soy sauce and without peanuts) equals 1 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable; also, 149 calories, 273 mg sodium, 28 mg cholesterol, 18 gm carbohydrate, 11 gm protein, 4 gm fat.
Reviews for Broccoli Barley Saute
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.