Broccoli Barley Saute
Here's a fun way to "spice up" your skillet suppers! Barley is a nice change of pace from rice, and the veggies and peanuts add a fun and festive crunch.
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1/3 cup water
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 2 cups diced cooked chicken
- 1/2 cup unsalted peanuts, optional
- Prepare barley according to package directions. In a small bowl,
- combine water, soy sauce and cornstarch; set aside. In a large
- skillet or wok, saute garlic in oil for 15 seconds. Add carrots;
- stir-fry for 1 minute. add broccoli and onions; stir-fry for 2-3
- minutes. Stir in soy sauce mixture; simmer and stir for 1 minute or
- until thickened. Add chicken an barley; heat through. Stir in
- peanuts if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts:Diabetic Exchanges: One serving (prepared with low-sodium soy sauce and without peanuts) equals 1 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable; also, 149 calories, 273 mg sodium, 28 mg cholesterol, 18 gm carbohydrate, 11 gm protein, 4 gm fat.