Here's a fun way to "spice up" your skillet suppers! Barley is a nice change of pace from rice, and the veggies and peanuts add a fun and festive crunch.
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1/3 cup water
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 2 cups diced cooked chicken
- 1/2 cup unsalted peanuts, optional
- Prepare barley according to package directions. In a small bowl, combine water, soy sauce and cornstarch; set aside. In a large skillet or wok, saute garlic in oil for 15 seconds. Add carrots; stir-fry for 1 minute. add broccoli and onions; stir-fry for 2-3 minutes. Stir in soy sauce mixture; simmer and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Add chicken an barley; heat through. Stir in peanuts if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Broccoli Barley Saute in Country Chicken Cookbook 1995, p45
Reviews for Broccoli Barley Saute
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review