Broccoli and Swiss Bake
Instead of pairing broccoli with cheddar cheese, I decided to use Swiss. This creamy side dish is especially comforting on cool evenings.Philip Stent, Leggett, Texas
6-8 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 8 cups broccoli florets
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1-1/4 cups milk
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- 2 eggs, beaten
- In a saucepan, cook broccoli until crisp-tender; drain and set aside.
- In another saucepan, melt butter; add flour. Cook and stir until
- thickened and bubbly. Stir in onion. Gradually add milk; bring to a
- boil and cook for 1 minute. Remove from the heat; stir in cheese,
- eggs and broccoli. Pour into a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Bake,
- uncovered, at 325° for 30 minutes. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 325 calories, 23 g fat (14 g saturated fat), 123 mg cholesterol, 252 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 21 g protein.