Broccoli and Crab Bisque Recipe
Since our son is a broccoli grower, our friends keep supplying us with recipes using broccoli. To this family favorite, add a tossed salad, rolls, fruit and cookies, and you have an easy but delicious supper full of nutrition. —Dorothy Child, Malone, New York
- 1 cup sliced leeks (white part only)
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup fresh broccoli florets
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cans (10-1/2 ounces each) condensed chicken broth, undiluted
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 3/4 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 package (6 ounces) frozen crabmeat, thawed, drained and flaked
- 1. In a large saucepan, cook the leeks, mushrooms, broccoli and garlic in butter until broccoli is crisp-tender. Stir in flour and seasonings until blended. Gradually add broth and cream.
- 2. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Add cheese; stir until melted. Add crab; heat through but do not boil. Discard bay leaf before serving. Yield: 5 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 303 calories, 20 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 98 mg cholesterol, 674 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 18 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC