- 1 cup sliced leeks (white part only)
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup fresh broccoli florets
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cans (10-1/2 ounces each) condensed chicken broth, undiluted
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 3/4 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 package (6 ounces) frozen crabmeat, thawed, drained and flaked
- In a large saucepan, cook the leeks, mushrooms, broccoli and garlic in butter until broccoli is crisp-tender. Stir in flour and seasonings until blended. Gradually add broth and cream.
- Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Add cheese; stir until melted. Add crab; heat through but do not boil. Discard bay leaf before serving. Yield: 5 servings.
Reviews for Broccoli and Crab Bisque
"I followed this recipe and it was so rich and delicious. I was at a fish market so I purchased some top of the line fresh lump crab meat. The meat itself was meaty and flavorful enough for this soup. The soup was so good , but due to it's richness I will serve it next time as a side or appetizer. Like others in their reviews I agree that the additional seasonings would enhance the soup."
"To decrease the amount of sodium I used low sodium chicken brooth. This was excelent and I plan on making it again this week."
"I used the whole container of crab, added a tablespoon of salt, and a little extra cheese! Delicious!"
"It was bland. Should have added more of something to it. My husband didn't like it."
"Delicious! The only thing I did different was I used a couple of red skinned potatoes instead of the leeks, canned evaporated milk instead of half and half and I doubled the recipe!!!! It turned out wonderful. Thanks for sharing! I think it would be really good with assorted seafood in it, like scallops, shrimp, cod and crab! You can never have to much seafood!! YUM!!!"