- 4 cups fresh small broccoli florets
- 2 medium potatoes, diced
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 4 cups fat-free milk, divided
- 2 teaspoons reduced-sodium chicken bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cubed reduced-fat process cheese (Velveeta)
- In a large saucepan, combine the first six ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add 3 cups milk, bouillon, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl, combine flour and remaining milk until smooth; gradually stir into soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in cheese just until melted. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Broccoli and Carrot Chowder
"I just made this tonight. It's very good. But I added lots of pepper, some red pepper flakes, garlic, and onion powder. It just needed spices. But, it's very very good."
"This was excellent chowder! Easy to make, hearty and satisfying, and packed with vegetables! I loved it! Big serving sizes, too. It made a lot! I think it would also be excellent with some corn in it, and if you wanted meat, some chicken breast would go very well in it. Yummy!"
"it was good...it got kind of bland after a while though..needs something else to season it with to make it better"
"My kids and husband cannot get enough of this wonderful soup. Make it again? that was 12 times of making it ago....."
"This was very good. I halved the recipe, added more veggies than called for, used reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese slices and cornstarch for the thickener. Great taste."
"I love this recipe. Ihave made it numerous times. A great way to get your vegetables in. I use sharp cheddar instead of the processed cheese."
"My sister is a vegetarian so when I made this the first time I replaced the chicken bouillon with vegetable. My whole family likes it better that way because the cheese flavor is a lot more noticeable."
"ABSOLUTLY DELICIOUS. I did a couple of things different though, before adding the flour/1 cup milk I used my potato masher and mashed the soup mixture a few times (I omitted the carrots)and I used Velvetta cheese slices."