Broccoli and Carrot Chicken Lasagna Recipe
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- Pinch each ground nutmeg and cayenne pepper
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/4 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into thin strips
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen broccoli cuts
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 9 lasagna noodles, cooked and drained
- 1 pound thinly sliced part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1. In a large saucepan, melt 4 tablespoons butter; stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add milk and broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of sauce into the eggs; return all to pan, stirring constantly. Cook and stir over low heat until mixture reaches 160°, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat; stir in 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, 1/2 teaspoon salt, nutmeg and cayenne. Set aside.
- 2. In a large skillet, saute onion and garlic in remaining butter until tender. Add chicken; cook and stir until juices run clear. Stir in the broccoli, carrot and remaining salt. Cover and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add parsley and pepper.
- 3. In a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish, layer 1/2 cup of the sauce, three noodles, half of the chicken mixture, 1/2 cup sauce and a third of the mozzarella cheese. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese. Top with three noodles, the remaining chicken mixture, half of the remaining mozzarella, 1 tablespoon Parmesan and 1/2 cup sauce. Top with the remaining noodles. Place the remaining mozzarella slices over noodles. Top with remaining sauce; gently lift noodles away from sides of the dish, letting sauce flow underneath. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan.
- 4. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until bubbly and golden brown. Let stand for 15 minutes before cutting. Yield: 12 servings.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 372 calories, 18 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 124 mg cholesterol, 696 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 29 g protein.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.