Broccoli and Carrot Cheese Bake Recipe
A creamy sauce flavored with cheese makes vegetables so much more appealing to my crowd. This holiday side dish will please even the pickiest veggie-phobics. It uses vegetables that are available year round, so it works for Easter as well as winter holiday meals.—
- 2 cups thinly sliced fresh carrots
- 2 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) grated Gruyere or Swiss cheese, divided
- 6 cups cubed egg bread
- 1. Place carrots and broccoli in a steamer basket; place in a large saucepan over 1 in. of water. Bring to a boil; cover and steam 3-4 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- 2. Preheat oven to 325°. In a large bowl, whisk eggs, milk, butter, salt, nutmeg and pepper. Stir in vegetables and 1 cup cheese. Gently stir in bread.
- 3. Transfer to a greased 11x7-in. baking dish; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, 30-35 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 9 servings.
1 piece equals 261 calories, 16 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 122 mg cholesterol, 428 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 13 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC