Broccoli and Carrot Cheese Bake Recipe
- 2 cups thinly sliced fresh carrots
- 2 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) grated Gruyere or Swiss cheese, divided
- 6 cups cubed egg bread
- 1. Place carrots and broccoli in a steamer basket; place in a large saucepan over 1 in. of water. Bring to a boil; cover and steam 3-4 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- 2. Preheat oven to 325°. In a large bowl, whisk eggs, milk, butter, salt, nutmeg and pepper. Stir in vegetables and 1 cup cheese. Gently stir in bread.
- 3. Transfer to a greased 11x7-in. baking dish; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, 30-35 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 9 servings.
1 piece: 261 calories, 16g fat (8g saturated fat), 122mg cholesterol, 428mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 13g protein.
Reviews for Broccoli and Carrot Cheese Bake
"I took this to an Easter potluck today and it was well-received. It was a nice change from the standard plain veggie dish. I like the fact that the two main vegetables are not seasonal and that the ingredients are pretty standard. I microwaved the carrots/broccoli mixture to save time and I used skim instead of 2% milk. I think that you could reduce the amount of butter slightly and save calories without sacrificing taste. I wasn't able to find egg bread so I just used a dense Vienna-type bread. I would like to try using whole wheat bread next time to make it a little healthier. If I could find a Swiss cheese that was a reduced fat variety I might try that to lighten up the fat and calorie count a little. Taste was very good; the nutmeg added a different taste and didn't overpower the dish. While I used it as a side dish; it could be a very filling meatless main dish, paired with a green salad and some fresh fruit for dessert."