Broccoli and Carrot Cheese Bake Recipe
A creamy sauce flavored with cheese makes vegetables so much more appealing to my crowd. This holiday side dish will please even the pickiest veggie-phobics (kids and men!). It uses vegetables that are available year round, so it works for Easter as well as winter holiday meals.
- 2 cups thinly sliced fresh carrots
- 2 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) grated Gruyere or Swiss cheese, divided
- 6 cups cubed egg bread
- Place carrots and broccoli in a steamer basket; place in a large saucepan over 1 in. of water. Bring to a boil; cover and steam for 3-4 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, butter, salt, nutmeg and pepper. Stir in the vegetables and 1 cup cheese. Gently stir in bread.
- Transfer to a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 30-35 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 9 servings.
Originally published as Broccoli and Carrot Cheese Bake in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2012, p40
Reviews for Broccoli and Carrot Cheese Bake(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review