- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 package (13 ounces) smoked turkey sausage, sliced
- 4 cups small fresh broccoli florets
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cups uncooked instant brown rice
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Reduced-fat sour cream and Louisiana-style hot sauce, optional
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add sausage; cook and stir 2-3 minutes or until browned. Stir in broccoli; cook and stir 2 minutes longer.
- Add water, tomatoes and seasonings; bring to a boil. Stir in rice. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat; stir rice mixture and sprinkle with cheese. Let stand, covered, 5 minutes or until liquid is almost absorbed and cheese is melted. If desired, serve with sour cream and hot sauce. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Broccoli, Rice and Sausage Dinner
"I have made this recipe twice and it definitely needed tweaked. I sauteed onion and fresh garlic with the sausages. I still used Penzey's Roasted Garlic and vegetable broth in place of the water. With these changes, my husband and I enjoyed the dish. It was quick, made plenty for leftovers and there was only one pan to clean up. I would definitely recommend with a few changes for more flavor."
"My family enjoy this dish. It does need a little more flavor so next time I will use more garlic powder and cheese."
"The good thing about this dish is that it is quick and easy, but it does not have much flavor. If I were to make it again I would probable substitute fresh garlic for the garlic powder, chicken or vegetable broth for the water and maybe red pepper flakes for some punch."