This is a meal in itself—it's both hearty and nutritious—and I usually serve it with just a simple salad and hard rolls.—Gloria Cudmore, Castlewood, South Dakota
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 3 cups frozen chopped broccoli
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup cubed process cheese (Velveeta)
- 1 pound ground beef, cooked and drained
- In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil; add bouillon and stir until dissolved. Add broccoli; cook according to package directions. Do not drain. Remove from the heat; set aside.
- In a large saucepan, cook onion in butter until tender. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until blended. Remove from the heat and stir in milk. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Add the cheese, beef, broccoli with cooking liquid. Cook until heated through and cheese is melted, stirring occasionally. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Broccoli, Hamburger and Cheese Soup in Country Ground Beef 1993, p23
Reviews for Broccoli, Hamburger and Cheese Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Apr. 22, 2013
"I've made this so many times now. It is one of my all-time favorite soup recipes. The only change I make is I use fresh instead of frozen broccoli. Tastes even better as leftovers!"