- 3 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- Dash pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups frozen broccoli florets
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup fat-free milk
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
- Minced fresh parsley
- In a large saucepan, combine the first seven ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 10-15 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Stir in broccoli; return to a boil.
- In a small bowl, whisk flour and milk until smooth; stir into soup. Cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat; cool slightly.
- Process in batches in a blender until smooth. Return to pan; heat through. Sprinkle servings with cheese and parsley. Yield: 3 servings.
Reviews for Broccoli & Potato Soup
Sort By :
"A little bland"
"Awful. I cannot agree more with BLAND. I added extra broccoli, extra salt and pepper and covered it in tons of cheese. It was basically watered down mashed potatoes. My husband and kids will eat just about anything. Made this for dinner and since no one liked it, I'm tossing this recipe."
"I just made the soup and my family and I liked it. I didn't find it bland at all. I did add alittle more garlic but overall not bad."
"BLAND BLAND BLAND!!! And did I say BLAND??!!! Taste of home blew it on this recipe. I agree with a previous comment that the word cheese should not be in the title. After tasting this soup by following the recipe, (yuck) I tried adding more cheese and extra salt. Still not too great so I added cayenne pepper and garlic salt to spice it up a bit. It helped and made it edible, but this recipe had gone through my shredder.....twice!!"
"This is a good base for a broccoli and cheese potato soup, but I made quite a few changes. In a dutch oven, I sautéed sliced carrots, diced celery and diced onions with a little olive oil with the garlic until tender. I placed the cooked vegetables on a plate and then added the water, chicken broth and potatoes to the dutch oven and cooked until potatoes were tender. I added the broccoli and cooked until it was unfrozen. I put the broccoli/potatoes in the blender and coarsely chopped. We like a little texture to our soup. Then I returned that mixture to the pot, added the cooked vegetables with the milk/flour mixture. To that I added salt and pepper, a bay leaf, dried thyme and 1/2 cup grated cheese. I will definitely make this again with the changes I made!"