Broccoli & Chicken Cheese Strata Recipe
On our dairy farm, chores often delay dinner. That's when this strata comes in handy. I'll prepare it beforehand and pop it in the oven for a quick and easy meal.
- 12 slices buttered bread
- 2-1/4 cups (10 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 3 cups frozen chopped broccoli, thawed and drained
- 2 cups diced cooked chicken
- 6 eggs
- 3 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1. Using a doughnut cutter, cut 12 rings and holes from bread; set aside. Tear bread scraps and place in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with 2 cups cheese, broccoli and chicken. Arrange rings and holes, with buttered sides up, on top.
- 2. Beat eggs, milk, onion, salt, mustard and pepper; pour over top. Cover and refrigerate 8 hour or overnight.
- 3. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 55-60 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese; bake 5 minutes longer or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 5-10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC