Brittle with Mixed Nuts
Nut fanciers have a lot to love about this irresistible brittle. The variety of nuts is what makes it do different. It's one of the first sweet treats to appear on my Christmas candy tray...and also the first to disappear!
28 ServingsPrep: 5 min. Cook: 30 min. + cooling
- 1-1/2 teaspoons plus 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 can (10 ounces) mixed nuts without peanuts
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- Butter a baking sheet with 1-1/2 teaspoons of butter; set aside. In a
- large saucepan, combine the sugar, water and corn syrup. Cook over
- medium heat until a candy thermometer reads 270° (soft-crack
- stage), stirring occasionally.
- Add nuts; cook and stir until the mixture reaches 300°
- (hard-crack stage). Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla and
- remaining butter. Add baking soda and stir vigorously.
- Quickly pour onto prepared baking sheet. Spread with a buttered metal
- spatula to 1/4-in. thickness. Cool before breaking into pieces.
- Store in an airtight container. Yield: about 1-3/4 pounds.
Nutritional Facts: 1 ounce equals 148 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 4 mg cholesterol, 164 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.