- 1-1/2 teaspoons plus 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 can (10 ounces) mixed nuts without peanuts
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- Butter a baking sheet with 1-1/2 teaspoons of butter; set aside. In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, water and corn syrup. Cook over medium heat until a candy thermometer reads 270° (soft-crack stage), stirring occasionally.
- Add nuts; cook and stir until the mixture reaches 300° (hard-crack stage). Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla and remaining butter. Add baking soda and stir vigorously.
- Quickly pour onto prepared baking sheet. Spread with a buttered metal spatula to 1/4-in. thickness. Cool before breaking into pieces. Store in an airtight container. Yield: about 1-3/4 pounds.
Reviews for Brittle with Mixed Nuts
Sort By :
"This was my first try at making brittle. You almost need four hands to finish the recipe, but it's definitely worth it. Very few ingredients but a lot of hurry up!Key things to keep in mind: you'll need plenty of spoons, you'll use one, stuff will stick to it, throw it to the side and get a fresh one. Having a candy thermometer is required! Let it cool all the way.It is a clear winner as far as taste goes. I'll make it again next year."