Brisket with Gingersnap Gravy
This is the first and only recipe I've ever used to prepared a fresh beef brisket. Serve it thinly sliced on a platter as an entree or use it for sandwiches.—Teri Lindquist, Gurnee, Illinois
16-18 ServingsPrep: 2-1/2 hours + chilling Bake: 30 min.
- 1 beef brisket (about 5 pounds)
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup chili sauce
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 5 to 6 gingersnaps, crushed
- Place brisket in a roasting pan. In a small bowl, combine the water,
- chili sauce and soup mix; pour over meat. Cover and bake at 325°
- for 2-1/2 to 3 hours or until meat is tender. Cool; cover and
- refrigerate overnight.
- Remove meat and cut into 1/4-in.-thick slices; return to the pan.
- Sprinkle with gingersnap crumbs. Cover and bake at 350° for
- 30-45 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 16-18 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving equals 181 calories, 6 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 53 mg cholesterol, 345 mg sodium, 5 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 26 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat.
Wine: Light-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.