Brisket with Cranberry-Horseradish Gravy Recipe
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 fresh beef brisket (5 pounds)
- 1 can (14 ounces) whole-berry cranberry sauce
- 3/4 cup horseradish sauce
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1. Combine the onion powder, salt, pepper and allspice; rub over brisket. Cut brisket in half; place in a 5-qt. slow cooker.
- 2. Combine the cranberry sauce, horseradish, lemon juice and bay leaf; pour over beef.
- 3. Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours or until tender.
- 4. Remove brisket and keep warm. Strain cooking juices; discard bay leaf. Transfer 3 cups cooking juices to a small saucepan.
- 5. Combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth; stir into juices. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Thinly slice beef across the grain; serve with gravy. Yield: 10 servings.
4 ounces cooked meat with 1/2 cup sauce equals 426 calories, 15 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 114 mg cholesterol, 446 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 46 g protein.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.