- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 fresh beef brisket (5 pounds)
- 1 can (14 ounces) whole-berry cranberry sauce
- 3/4 cup horseradish sauce
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- Combine the onion powder, salt, pepper and allspice; rub over brisket. Cut brisket in half; place in a 5-qt. slow cooker.
- Combine the cranberry sauce, horseradish, lemon juice and bay leaf; pour over beef.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours or until tender.
- Remove brisket and keep warm. Strain cooking juices; discard bay leaf. Transfer 3 cups cooking juices to a small saucepan.
- Combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth; stir into juices. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Thinly slice beef across the grain; serve with gravy. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Brisket with Cranberry-Horseradish Gravy in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2009, p61
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Brisket with Cranberry-Horseradish Gravy
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Apr. 9, 2012
"Delicious! Slightly sweet, slightly tangy. I had many compliments on this dish and it was way-easy to make!"