Brisket with Cranberry Gravy
Cranberry sauce adds a pleasant sweetness to this slow-cooked version from Nina Hall of Citrus Heights, California. “Use jellied sauce instead of whole berry sauce if you like,” she suggests.
6-8 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Cook: 8 hours
- 1 fresh beef brisket (2-1/2 pounds)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (14 ounces) whole-berry cranberry sauce
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- Rub brisket with salt and pepper; place in a 5-qt. slow cooker.
- Combine the cranberry sauce, tomato sauce, onion and mustard; pour
- over brisket.
- Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until meat is tender. Remove
- brisket; thinly slice across the grain. Skim fat from cooking
- juices; serve with brisket. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 4 ounces equals 262 calories, 6 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 60 mg cholesterol, 357 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 30 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 1 starch.
Wine: This recipe pairs well with a light red wine.: Taste of Home Special Offer: Enjoy this recipe with Tangley Oaks Pinot Noir 2012 CA, pinot nose with great raspberry and plum flavors...a perfectly balanced lighter wine. Buy now and get 4