- 1 fresh beef brisket (4-1/2 pounds)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 large onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup dry red wine or beef broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 celery ribs with leaves, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 pound carrots, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- Season brisket with salt and pepper. In a Dutch oven, brown brisket in oil over medium-high heat. Remove and keep warm. In the same pan, saute onions and garlic until tender. Place brisket over onions. Add the wine or broth, tomatoes, celery, thyme, rosemary and bay leaf.
- Cover and bake at 325° for 2 hours, basting occasionally. Add carrots; bake 1 hour longer or until meat is tender. Discard bay leaf. Cool for 1 hour; cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Trim visible fat from brisket and skim fat from tomato mixture. Thinly slice beef across the grain. In a saucepan, warm tomato mixture; transfer to a shallow roasting pan. Top with sliced beef. Cover and bake at 325° for 30 minutes or until heated through. Serve sauce over beef. Yield: 12 servings.
This recipe pairs well with a light red wine.
Taste of Home Special Offer: Enjoy this recipe with Tangley Oaks Pinot Noir 2012 CA, pinot nose with great raspberry and plum flavors...a perfectly balanced lighter wine. Buy now and get 4 bottles for $59.99. Order Now
Reviews for Brisket with Chunky Tomato Sauce
Sort By :
It was a bit hit at the dinner table!