Brisket in a Bag
This tender brisket is served with a savory cranberry gravy that's made right in the bag. You'll want to serve the slices with mashed potatoes just so you can drizzle the gravy over them. —Peggy Stigers, Fort Worth, Texas
12 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 2-1/2 hours
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 large oven roasting bag
- 1 fresh beef brisket (5 pounds), trimmed
- 1 can (14 ounces) whole-berry cranberry sauce
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- Place 1 tablespoon flour in oven bag; shake to coat. Place bag in an
- ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan; place brisket in bag.
- Combine the cranberry sauce, soup, tomato sauce, soup mix and
- remaining flour; pour over beef. Seal bag. Cut slits in top of bag
- according to package directions.
- Bake at 325° for 2-1/2 to 3 hours or until meat is tender.
- Carefully remove brisket from bag. Let stand 5 minutes before
- slicing. Thinly slice meat across the grain; serve with gravy.
- Yield: 12 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 6 ounces equals 324 calories, 10 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 81 mg cholesterol, 544 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 40 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 6 lean meat, 1 starch.