Brisket in a Bag
This tender brisket is served with a savory cranberry gravy that's made right in the bag. You'll want to serve the slices with mashed potatoes just so you can drizzle the gravy over them. —Peggy Stigers, Fort Worth, Texas
12 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 2-1/2 hours
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 large oven roasting bag
- 1 fresh beef brisket (5 pounds), trimmed
- 1 can (14 ounces) whole-berry cranberry sauce
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- Preheat oven to 325°. Place 1 tablespoon flour in oven bag; shake
- to coat. Place bag in an ungreased 13x9-in. baking pan; place
- brisket in bag.
- Combine cranberry sauce, soup, tomato sauce, soup mix and remaining
- flour; pour over beef. Seal bag. Cut slits in top of bag according
- to package directions.
- Bake 2-1/2 to 3 hours or until meat is tender. Carefully remove
- brisket from bag. Let stand 5 minutes before slicing. Thinly slice
- meat across the grain; serve with gravy. Yield: 12 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 6 ounces equals 324 calories, 10 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 81 mg cholesterol, 544 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 40 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 6 lean meat, 1 starch.