- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 large oven roasting bag
- 1 fresh beef brisket (5 pounds), trimmed
- 1 can (14 ounces) whole-berry cranberry sauce
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- Preheat oven to 325°. Place 1 tablespoon flour in oven bag; shake to coat. Place bag in an ungreased 13x9-in. baking pan; place brisket in bag.
- Combine cranberry sauce, soup, tomato sauce, soup mix and remaining flour; pour over beef. Seal bag. Cut slits in top of bag according to package directions.
- Bake 2-1/2 to 3 hours or until meat is tender. Carefully remove brisket from bag. Let stand 5 minutes before slicing. Thinly slice meat across the grain; serve with gravy. Yield: 12 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Brisket in a Bag
"This may seem like a strange combination of ingredients but this recipe is delightful! I did however use mine in a crock pot as oppose to the oven. Worked great!! Not only did the house smell wonderful while cooking but flavorful gravy was wonderful served over mashed potatos. You will not be disapointed!"
"The meat comes out so tender and the gravy is delicious"
"Oh my gosh.....this is soooo good! Everyone loved it! YUMMY Followed recipe exactly."
"Tasty and super easy to make.."
"This was easy to put together, and really tasty. I cooked my brisket in a stoneware dish and covered it with tin foil. Baked it at 300 for 6 hours. Thanks for this recipe"
"The ingredients seemed scary at first because they seem odd, but wow on the tasty scale. I have some friend who come by who are adventerous so I always try new recipies on them. They loved it and asked for more. I didnt make it in a bag though, I used a covered stone baker, but I did make mashed potatoes as suggested, and that was great. I had a smaller than suggested brisket which was fine, because now I have left over gravy. YUMMY! All the other receipes were for BBQ brisket, and I love BBQ but I love trying new flavors. Plus my sons asked for seconds and thirds. Winner, Winner, Brisket dinner."
"We have made this many times in the past and it is succulent and fabulous. Now I have to rework it to replace the condensed soup and soup mix with homemade alternatives due to food allergies. Hope I can come close to the original!"