Brisket for a Bunch
This recipe makes tender slices of beef in a delicious au jus. To easily get very thin slices, chill the brisket before slicing, then reheat in the juices.Dawn Fagerstrom, Warren, Minnesota
10 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 7 hours
- 1 fresh beef brisket (2-1/2 pounds), cut in half
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup beef broth
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons onion soup mix
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 12 hamburger buns, split
- In a large skillet, brown brisket in oil on both sides; transfer to a
- 3-qt. slow cooker. In the same skillet, saute celery and onion for 1
- minute. Gradually add the broth, tomato sauce and water; stir to
- loosen the browned bits from pan. Add the sugar, soup mix and
- vinegar; bring to a boil. Pour over brisket.
- Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours or until meat is tender. Let
- stand for 5 minutes before slicing. Skim fat from cooking juices.
- Serve meat in buns with cooking juices. Yield: 10 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 3 ounces equals 331 calories, 9 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 48 mg cholesterol, 536 mg sodium,