Creamy and cheesy with a touch of garlic, these delicious potatoes make a great side dish for anything! Don’t worry about leftovers…there won’t be any. —June Dress, Boise, Idaho
- 5 pounds potatoes (about 6 large), peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons onion salt
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup milk
- Prepare grill or campfire for low heat, using 20-24 charcoal briquettes or large wood chips.
- Line a Dutch oven with heavy-duty aluminum foil; add half of the potatoes. Top with 1-1/2 cups cheese, onion, butter, garlic, onion salt, salt and pepper. Top with remaining potatoes and cheese. Pour milk over the top.
- Cover Dutch oven. When briquettes or wood chips are covered with white ash, place Dutch oven directly on top of 10 of them. Using long-handled tongs, place remaining briquettes on pan cover.
- Cook for 70-80 minutes or until bubbly and potatoes are tender. To check for doneness, use the tongs to carefully lift the cover. Yield: 16 servings (3/4 cup each).
Originally published as Briquette Scalloped Potatoes in Taste of Home August/September 2009, p67
Reviews for Briquette Scalloped Potatoes
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed May. 27, 2012
"made these at camp last summer, very good. we had none left over"