Creamy and cheesy with a touch of garlic, these delicious potatoes make a great side dish for anything! Don’t worry about leftovers…there won’t be any. —June Dress, Boise, Idaho
- 5 pounds potatoes (about 6 large), peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons onion salt
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup milk
- Prepare grill or campfire for low heat, using 20-24 charcoal briquettes or large wood chips.
- Line a Dutch oven with heavy-duty aluminum foil; add half of the potatoes. Top with 1-1/2 cups cheese, onion, butter, garlic, onion salt, salt and pepper. Top with remaining potatoes and cheese. Pour milk over the top.
- Cover Dutch oven. When briquettes or wood chips are covered with white ash, place Dutch oven directly on top of 10 of them. Using long-handled tongs, place remaining briquettes on pan cover.
- Cook for 70-80 minutes or until bubbly and potatoes are tender. To check for doneness, use the tongs to carefully lift the cover. Yield: 16 servings (3/4 cup each).
Originally published as Briquette Scalloped Potatoes in Taste of Home August/September 2009, p67
Reviews for Briquette Scalloped Potatoes
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed May. 27, 2012
"made these at camp last summer, very good. we had none left over"