- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 to 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cold butter
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- apple and cherry pie filling
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons evaporated milk
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, sugar, eggs, salt and 2 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Do not knead. Cover and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface. Roll into an 18-in. x 15-in. rectangle. Cut 1/3 cup butter into small pieces. Dot dough with butter to within 1 in. of edges. Fold lengthwise into thirds, then widthwise into thirds, forming a 6-in. x 5-in. rectangle. Wrap in plastic wrap; refrigerate for 15 minutes. Repeat the rolling, dotting with butter, folding and chilling two times.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide dough in half. For fans, combine the brown sugar, walnuts and cinnamon; set aside. Roll one portion of dough into an 18-in. x 10-in. rectangle. Cut into eighteen 5-in. x 2-in. rectangles. Brush with melted butter to within 1/2 in. of edges; sprinkle with brown sugar mixture. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seams to seal. Place seam side down on a greased baking sheet; curve ends down to form crescent shape. With scissors, cut from outside edge to two-thirds of the way down toward opposite side at 1-in. intervals. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- For S-shaped rolls, divide other portion of dough into 18 pieces. Shape each piece into a 10-in. rope. Shape rope into an S-shape, then coil ends until they touch the center. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheet. Fill coil ends with 1-2 teaspoons pie filling. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. In a small bowl, combine the glaze ingredients. Drizzle over rolls. Yield: 3 dozen.
Originally published as Bright Butter Pastries in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2004, p23
Reviews for Bright Butter Pastries
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jan. 16, 2009
"most delicious pastry, yum!"