Brie and Sausage Brunch Bake Recipe
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 8 cups cubed day-old sourdough bread
- 1/2 cup chopped roasted sweet red peppers
- 1/2 pound Brie cheese, rind removed, cubed
- 2/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 8 large eggs
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 1. In a large skillet, cook sausage and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- 2. Place bread cubes in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Layer with sausage mixture, red peppers, Brie and Parmesan cheeses and basil. In a large bowl, whisk eggs, cream, mustard, pepper and salt; pour over top. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- 3. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake, uncovered, 45-50 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
- 4. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Bake 4-6 minutes or until cheese is melted. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting. Sprinkle with green onions. Yield: 12 servings.
1 piece: 424 calories, 31g fat (17g saturated fat), 237mg cholesterol, 779mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 19g protein
Reviews for Brie and Sausage Brunch Bake
"Easy to make and delicious !"
"Took this to Easter Brunch and was asked to share by all 7 families"
"I used box turkey stuffing instead of sourdough beard, and it turned out awesome! I suggest this recipe to anyone who loves a good breakfast!"
"I already have a few tried & true egg & sausage bake recipes, but I wanted to try something different for Christmas breakfast. The Brie and sweet red peppers variation intrigued me, but I wasn't sure how well the change would go over with the rest of the family. However I needn't have worried, it was a hit and will be added into the rotation of tried and true recipes."
"So tasty! I made this for Christmas brunch and will make it again for next Christmas brunch too!"
"This recipe was very rich and very good. I did make a few changes: German beer sausage instead of Italian; half and half instead of heavy cream; French bread instead of sourdough; and goat cheese gouda instead of brie (didn't have any). I also halved the recipe, didn't soak it overnight, and used chopped leeks on top instead of green onions that also baked with the rest of the dish. I used tri-colored peppers and horseradish mustard, so I think this dish could have many variations and still be delicious!"
"I always make an egg bake for Christmas Day morning, for a family which includes those that a. hate mushrooms, b. can't take any "heat", so I've been searching for years for an egg bake worth making again. This is it! I used Jimmy Dean Maple Sausage in place of the spicy sausage, and used about half of the sweet peppers, otherwise per recipe, and it was a hit all around. My husband and I just finished the last of it for lunch today (Jan 2) and it's just as good reheated. It's going in the Christmas recipe file, for sure. BTW, had to buy a 2-lb round of Brie, so wrapped the rest in crescent roll dough and baked it for New Years Eve - wow!"
"Amazing. Make this as stated the first time then adjust and play with your food to your heart's content. Two suggestions:1. Don't remove the rind. It won't hurt you and is a waste of time and bloody good cheese.2. Ignore the Parmesan pointers about buying grated or shredded Parmesan. If you want the full and wonderful flavour of this dish buy a wedge of good Parm and grate it yourself. Just my thoughts."
"Awesome.. I switched out the Sourdough bread for Potatoes o'brien.. Loved it."
"I made this for our Christmas Day brunch and thought it was wonderful! The sourdough bread gave it a nice flavor. I used chopped sausage links instead of bulk sausage and substituted half the whole eggs with egg whites. I also replaced the heavy whipping cream w/ skim milk to cut more calories. It still turned out amazing- I will use this recipe often, thanks for sharing!"
"Truly Simple and Delicious!!! A huge hit at our Christmas Brunch."