Bride and Groom Cupcakes Recipe
Who doesn’t love a bitty bite of cake? For party-day ease, make the cupcakes 1 month before and freeze. Prep the accessories 2 days ahead and store at room temp in an airtight container. Whip up the frosting and assemble all in no time on the big day! —Simple & Delicious Test Kitchen
- 1 package strawberry or yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 8 cups confectioners' sugar
- 7 to 8 tablespoons 2% milk, divided
- 2 teaspoons clear vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 cup dark chocolate candy coating disks, melted
- 1/2 cup vanilla candy coating disks, melted
- 1 large marshmallow
- 1/2 cup green candy coating disks, melted
- White pearl dragees, flower sprinkles, white edible glitter and colored sugar
- Small piece of tulle
- Prepare and bake cake batter according to package directions for cupcakes. Cool completely.
- In a large bowl, beat shortening and butter until light and fluffy. Add the confectioners' sugar, 6 tablespoons milk and vanilla; beat until smooth.
- Transfer half of the frosting to another bowl. Add baking cocoa and 1-2 tablespoons remaining milk to achieve desired consistency. Add lemon peel and extract to remaining frosting.
- Using melted chocolate, pipe 12 bow ties onto waxed paper. For bride's crown, pipe a 1-1/4-in. ring with melted vanilla coating. Immediately arrange dragees onto ring.
- For groom's hat, spoon a 1/2-teaspoon round of melted chocolate onto waxed paper into a 1-3/4 inch circle. Cut a 1/4-in. slice from the top of marshmallow. Dip marshmallow in chocolate coating and place in the center of chocolate round. See photo >
- Using melted green coating, pipe 12 bouquet stems onto waxed paper. Immediately attach with flower sprinkles. Let decorations stand until set. See photo >
- Pipe lemon frosting onto half of the cupcakes and chocolate frosting onto remaining cupcakes. For bride, add crown to the top of a lemon-frosted cupcake and attach a piece of tulle for veil; add a bouquet and sprinkle with glitter.
- For groom, add top hat to the top of a chocolate-frosted cupcake. Attach a bow tie and pearl dragees for buttons.
- Decorate remaining cupcakes with bouquets, bow ties, dragees, glitter and colored sugar as desired. Yield: 2 dozen.
Originally published as Bride and Groom Cupcakes in Simple & Delicious June/July 2012, p49
Reviews for Bride and Groom Cupcakes(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Nov. 10, 2012
these are super cute and the cake came out really moist and fluffy. I made them for a cousin's wedding shower and everyone thought they were adorable!
More Recipe Collections
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Bridal Shower Recipes >
- Cake Recipes >
- Cakes >
- Chocolate Cake Recipes >
- Chocolate Recipes >