Breakfast Upside-Down Cake Recipe
This moist golden morning treat quickly became my husband's favorite. And because it calls for a boxed blueberry muffin mix and canned pineapple, I never have a problem finding the time to make it for him. Plus, it looks pretty enough to serve company.
- 1 package (18-1/4 ounces) blueberry muffin mix
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) quick-rise yeast
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced pineapple
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 4 maraschino cherries, halved
- Fresh blueberries, optional
- 1. Rinse and drain blueberries from muffin mix; set aside. Combine muffin mix and yeast in a large bowl; set aside.
- 2. Drain pineapple, reserving juice in a measuring cup. Set pineapple aside. Add enough water to juice to measure 2/3 cup.
- 3. Pour into saucepan; heat to 120°-130°. Add to muffin mix; stir just until moistened. Beat in the egg. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes.
- 4. Combine brown sugar and butter; pour into a greased 9-in. round baking pan. Cut each pineapple slice in half; arrange over brown sugar mixture. Tuck cherries into pineapple.
- 5. Spoon half of batter over pineapple. Sprinkle with reserved blueberries. Spread with remaining batter.
- 6. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into cake comes out clean. Immediately invert onto a serving plate. Cool completely. Garnish with fresh blueberries if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
1 piece: 403 calories, 14g fat (7g saturated fat), 47mg cholesterol, 566mg sodium, 64g carbohydrate (36g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Reviews for Breakfast Upside-Down Cake
Reviewed Feb. 13, 2015
"One word. Deee-licious!"
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC