“My hubby likes these ciabatta rolls served with pickled jalapenos. Try substituting leftover taco meat, ham, grilled steak or chicken for the bacon.” This one’s a guaranteed crowd-pleaser. —Carolyn Kumpe, El Dorado, California
- 4 ciabatta rolls
- 3/4 cup refried black beans
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 3 to 5 drops chipotle hot pepper sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 4 cooked bacon strips, halved
- 1/2 medium ripe avocado, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 2 green onions, chopped
- Cut the top third off each roll; hollow out bottom, leaving a 1/2-in. shell (discard removed bread or save for another use). Place roll bottoms on an ungreased baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, combine the beans, sour cream, cilantro, lime juice, pepper sauce and salt. Spread 1/4 cup inside each roll. Break an egg into each roll. Bake at 400° for 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle cheese over eggs. Brush roll tops with olive oil; place on the baking sheet. Bake 5-8 minutes longer or until egg whites are completely set and yolks begin to thicken but are not firm. Top each with bacon, avocado, salsa and onions. Replace roll tops. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Breakfast Tortas in Simple & Delicious December/January 2011, p65
Reviews for Breakfast Tortas
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review