I first made this breakfast version of bread pudding for our annual Memorial Day breakfast more than 10 years ago. I'm eager to try new recipes each year, but my friends and family love this so much they won't let me make anything else!
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 3 eggs, separated
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 9 slices bread, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large bowl combine butter, egg yolks, milk, mustard, salt and cayenne pepper. Stir in bread cubes and cheese. In another bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form; fold into bread mixture. Pour into a greased 9-in. square baking dish. Cover and chill for 8 hours or overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand 5 minutes before cutting. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Breakfast Bread Pudding in Cookin' Up Country Breakfasts Cookbook 1994, p16
Reviews for Breakfast-Style Bread Pudding
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review