Add a teaspoon of ground cinnamon with the flour for a tasty variation.
16 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 cup King Arthur Premium 100% Whole Wheat Flour
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1 cup buttermilk
- In a bowl, combine flours, brown sugar, baking powder and baking
- soda. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in
- buttermilk until a soft dough forms. Turn onto a lightly floured
- board and knead gently 10-12 times or until no longer sticky.
- Divide dough in half; gently pat or roll each half into an 8-in.
- circle 1/2 in thick. Cut each circle into eight wedges. Separate
- wedges and place on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 400° for
- 15-18 minutes. Yield: 16 scones.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 190 calories, 9 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 24 mg cholesterol, 221 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.