Breakfast Sausage Bread Recipe
Any time we take this savory, satisfying bread to a potluck, it goes over very well. We never bring any home. My husband generally makes this bread and prides himself on the beautiful golden loaves. -Shirley Caldwell, Northwood, Ohio
- 2 loaves (1 pound each) frozen white bread dough, thawed
- 1/2 pound mild pork sausage
- 1/2 pound Johnsonville® Hot Italian Ground Sausage
- 1-1/2 cups diced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3 eggs
- 2-1/2 cups (10 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1. Allow dough to rise until nearly doubled.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a skillet over medium heat, cook and crumble sausage. Add mushrooms and onion. Cook and stir until the sausage is browned and vegetables are tender; drain. Cool. Beat 1 egg, set aside. To sausage mixture, add 2 eggs, cheese and seasonings; mix well. Roll each loaf of dough into a 16-in. x 12-in. rectangle. Spread half the sausage mixture on each loaf to within 1 in. of edges. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting at a narrow end; seal edges. Place on a greased baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes; brush with beaten egg. Bake 5-10 minutes more or until golden brown. Serve warm. Yield: 2 loaves.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 102 calories, 6 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 32 mg cholesterol, 176 mg sodium, 8 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC