Breakfast Sausage Bread Recipe
Any time we take this savory, satisfying bread to a potluck, it goes over very well. We never bring any home. My husband generally makes this bread and prides himself on the beautiful golden loaves. -Shirley Caldwell, Northwood, Ohio
- 2 loaves (1 pound each) frozen white bread dough, thawed
- 1/2 pound mild pork sausage
- 1/2 pound bulk spicy pork sausage
- 1-1/2 cups diced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3 eggs, divided use
- 2-1/2 cups (10 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1. Cover dough and let rise in a warm place until doubled. Preheat oven to 350°. In a large skillet, cook sausage, mushrooms and onion over medium-high heat 6-8 minutes or until sausage is no longer pink, breaking up sausage into crumbles. Drain. Transfer to a bowl; cool.
- 2. Stir in 2 eggs, cheese and seasonings. Roll each loaf of dough into a 16x12-in. rectangle. Spread half of the sausage mixture over each rectangle to within 1 in. of edges. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a short side; pinch seams to seal. Place on a greased baking sheet.
In a small bowl, whisk remaining egg. Brush over tops. Bake 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.
Freeze option: Securely wrap and freeze cooled loaves in foil and place in resealable plastic freezer bags. To use, place foil-wrapped loaf on a baking sheet and reheat in a 450° oven 10-15 minutes or until heated through. Carefully remove foil; return to oven a few minutes longer until crust is crisp. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices each).
1 serving (1 slice) equals 102 calories, 6 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 32 mg cholesterol, 176 mg sodium, 8 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.
Reviews for Breakfast Sausage Bread
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC