Breakfast Sausage Bread Recipe
- 2 loaves (1 pound each) frozen white bread dough, thawed
- 1/2 pound mild pork sausage
- 1/2 pound bulk spicy pork sausage
- 1-1/2 cups diced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3 large eggs, divided use
- 2-1/2 cups (10 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1. Cover dough and let rise in a warm place until doubled. Preheat oven to 350°. In a large skillet, cook sausage, mushrooms and onion over medium-high heat 6-8 minutes or until sausage is no longer pink, breaking up sausage into crumbles. Drain. Transfer to a bowl; cool.
- 2. Stir in two eggs, cheese and seasonings. Roll each loaf of dough into a 16x12-in. rectangle. Spread half of the sausage mixture over each rectangle to within 1 in. of edges. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a short side; pinch seams to seal. Place on a greased baking sheet.
In a small bowl, whisk remaining egg. Brush over tops. Bake 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.
Freeze option: Securely wrap and freeze cooled loaves in foil and place in resealable plastic freezer bags. To use, place foil-wrapped loaf on a baking sheet and reheat in a 450° oven 10-15 minutes or until heated through. Carefully remove foil; return to oven a few minutes longer until crust is crisp. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices each).
1 slice: 102 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 32mg cholesterol, 176mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein .
Reviews for Breakfast Sausage Bread
"need to print out this recipe everytime i share with someone"
"I found this in a TOH magazine back in the mid 90s and made it for Christmas morning, my family has asked for it every year since. Now my daughter makes it for her family too. Now that my kids are grown I take one loaf to work and they love it too. Freezes well and tastes like you just made it if you reheat in the oven. I wouldn't change a thing about this recipe."
"A family favorite since it first appeared in Taste of Home. It's so delicious, and freezes well. We have made it almost every Christmas."
"I have been making this since it first appeared in Taste of Home! My family demands it every Christmas Eve and I have to make extra for them to take home!!"