- 2 loaves (1 pound each) frozen white bread dough, thawed
- 1/2 pound mild pork sausage
- 1/2 pound bulk spicy pork sausage
- 1-1/2 cups diced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3 eggs
- 2-1/2 cups (10 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Allow dough to rise until nearly doubled.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet over medium heat, cook and crumble sausage. Add mushrooms and onion. Cook and stir until the sausage is browned and vegetables are tender; drain. Cool. Beat 1 egg, set aside. To sausage mixture, add 2 eggs, cheese and seasonings; mix well. Roll each loaf of dough into a 16-in. x 12-in. rectangle. Spread half the sausage mixture on each loaf to within 1 in. of edges. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting at a narrow end; seal edges. Place on a greased baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes; brush with beaten egg. Bake 5-10 minutes more or until golden brown. Serve warm. Yield: 2 loaves.
Reviews for Breakfast Sausage Bread
Sort By :
"need to print out this recipe everytime i share with someone"
"I found this in a TOH magazine back in the mid 90s and made it for Christmas morning, my family has asked for it every year since. Now my daughter makes it for her family too. Now that my kids are grown I take one loaf to work and they love it too. Freezes well and tastes like you just made it if you reheat in the oven. I wouldn't change a thing about this recipe."
"A family favorite since it first appeared in Taste of Home. It's so delicious, and freezes well. We have made it almost every Christmas."
"I have been making this since it first appeared in Taste of Home! My family demands it every Christmas Eve and I have to make extra for them to take home!!"