Breakfast Sausage & Sweet Potato Muffins Recipe
What do you do with the leftover sweet potatoes from Thanksgiving dinner? Turn them into breakfast the next morning in these slightly savory, slightly sweet muffins. The sausage adds interest and the mashed sweet potato lends delightful texture to every bite. —Diane Roark, Conway, Arkansas
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup leftover mashed sweet potatoes
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 pound bulk Jimmy Dean® Premium Pork Sausage Roll, cooked and drained
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the sugar, flour, oats, allspice, salt and baking soda. In another bowl, combine the sweet potatoes, eggs, butter, oil and syrup. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in sausage.
- 2. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in muffin comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 1 dozen.
1 muffin equals 291 calories, 17 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 59 mg cholesterol, 353 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC