What do you do with the leftover sweet potatoes from Thanksgiving dinner? Turn them into breakfast the next morning in these slightly savory, slightly sweet muffins. The sausage adds interest and the mashed sweet potato lends delightful texture to every bite. —Diane Roark, Conway, Arkansas
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup leftover mashed sweet potatoes
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage, cooked and drained
- In a large bowl, combine the sugar, flour, oats, allspice, salt and baking soda. In another bowl, combine the sweet potatoes, eggs, butter, oil and syrup. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in sausage.
- Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in muffin comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 1 dozen.
Originally published as Breakfast Sausage & Sweet Potato Muffins in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2011, p123
Reviews for Breakfast Sausage & Sweet Potato Muffins
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review